Can't find what you're looking for? Try Google Search.
Google
Showing posts with label scandals. Show all posts
Showing posts with label scandals. Show all posts

T-shirts selling like hot cakes

T-shirt humour: Saw with some of the humorous T-shirts designed by him at his Central Market stall yesterday. – NORAFIFI EHSAN / The Star
KUALA LUMPUR: The white top has screaming imprints Lingam was speaking to me! It’s one of the hottest selling T-shirts in town.

The ongoing Lingam video clip inquiry has brought more customers to Patrick Saw's shop asking for the “Lingam T-shirt”.

“I’ve actually had this design for a while but it became a hit and sold like hot cakes since a couple of days ago,” said Saw, who designs T-shirts.

“I update myself with current trends and issues and put them across in a graphic and humorous manner just to keep the people’s interest going,” he added.

“My inspirations come from whatever I see and hear,” the 54-year-old Saw said.

No to street protests, yes to walking around naked and No ethnic cleansing in Malaysia but armpit cleansing aplenty are some eye-catching phrases printed on T-shirts at his T-Junction stall at the Central Market.

Saw said his T-shirts were purely meant to be humorous with no sarcastic meaning in them.

“I am not caustic in my comments. Just to keep things relevant,” he said, adding that all his ‘creations’ were his own ideas.

Asked if he has encountered any trouble, Saw replied: “No, it has been smooth and no trouble so far. But I reckon someone has got to be too narrow-minded to think that the phrases are offensive.”

“The idea is for people to look at it and have a good laugh. I get a kick out of seeing people laugh at my designs,” said Saw, who started the business three years ago after returning from living abroad for 30 years.

A former restaurateur, Saw had designed a few images as decorative items for his outlets in Hong Kong and was asked to produce them in T-shirts.

“Well it has been a business for three years now and I am pleased that the response has been good,” he said, adding that his first designs were the “Mickey Maos” based on the Chinese military and political leader, Mao Zedong.

Read More News Dedicated...

No CCTVs in hotels, says hotel group

Friday January 4, 2008



KUALA LUMPUR: No hotel will allow anyone to place CCTVs in its rooms, said the Malaysian Association of Hotels executive director Sarjit Singh.

“Any CCTV camera placed in a room will be intruding on the privacy of the hotel guest and is a violation of an individual’s privacy,” he said.

“CCTVs are allowed only in public areas like the lobby and corridors.”

Read More News Dedicated...

Woman detained for allegedly distributing sex DVD

Friday January 4, 2008


JOHOR BARU: A 29-year-old woman has been detained for allegedly distributing the sex DVD involving former Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek.

Johor Police Chief Deputy Comm Datuk Hussin Ismail said the beauty salon owner was arrested near her shop in Taman Bukit Perdana, Batu Pahat, at 2.30pm on Thursday.

He explained that police also seized one DVD and three VCDs of the banned material and a laptop during the arrest.

"We believe this is not the woman in the video.

"She will be remanded today," he told pressmen on Friday after launching the rank presentation ceremony to some 600 police personnel at the police headquarters here.

DCP Hussin also confirmed that police had recorded Dr Chua's statement but decline to elaborate further.

"We have not recorded statements from others.

"The investigation is still ongoing," he said.

DCP Hussin explained that a Bukit Aman Forensics Unit was assisting state police with investigations in Batu Pahat.

He said the case was being investigated under Section 292 of the Penal Code for distributing and possessing material containing pornographic elements.

When asked whether the hotel workers had a hand in the sex video, DCP Hussin said he did not want to speculate.

"We will explore all angles in the investigations.

"One angle is identifying who was involved in the DVD," he said, urging those who had obtained the DVDs to surrender the copies to the police or destroy them.

"It is an offence to keep such a DVD including transferring the video to a computer," he said.

Read More News Dedicated...

16 witnesses identified by Royal Commission of Inquiry

Thursday January 3, 2008


KUALA LUMPUR: The Royal Commission of Inquiry into the V.K. Lingam video clip has identified 16 witnesses.

Commission chairman Tan Sri Haidar Mohd Noor said they were likely to call 15 of the 16 persons on the list but did not discount the possibility of calling another three to four before the Jan 14 hearing.

"The additional names may include the person who made the tape and the person in the second part of the video allegedly asking questions to Lingam.

The Deputy Public Prosecutors are still investigating who made the tape," Haidar told reporters after chairing the Royal Commission's meeting at the Jalan Duta court complex here Thursday.

The Royal Commission was set up on Nov 16 to investigate the video clip, which allegedly showed a prominent lawyer resembling Datuk V.K. Lingam brokering the appointment of judges.

When pressed to reveal the names of the witnesses, Haidar declined but instead said:

"You can speculate. You will know when the hearing starts on Jan 14.

"The Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) has released the 16 names. There is no need to say who (they are)."

Parti Keadilan Rakyat adviser Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim released the five-year-old tape, which has sparked an outcry over the independence and credibility of the judiciary.

The first eight minutes of the tape was released on Sept 19 and a second part on Nov 8.

The Anti-Corruption Agency (ACA) has quizzed several people over the tape, including former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamed, Anwar, a former chief secretary to the government, Lingam, Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor, and tycoon Tan Sri Vincent Tan.

When asked if Dr Mahathir or Anwar were part of the names, Haidar declined to elaborate.

He, however, affirmed that the list of witnesses comprised a mix of politicians and lawyers and that he hoped to complete the hearing within two weeks.

Read More News Dedicated...

MCA leadership accepts Chua's resignation

Wednesday January 2, 2008


KUALA LUMPUR: The MCA presidential council has "regretfully" accepted Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek's decision to resign from his Health Minister's post and as MP for Labis along with other part positions.

In a statement, the council said it "regrets and respects his decision to be accountable for his actions".

"It must have been a difficult decision for him and we commend him for putting his party and the country before self.

"His willingness to step down voluntarilyis an example of a responsible leader," it said.

The council said Dr chua, who joined the party in 1977 had been a hard-working and effective leader and had been an exceedingly competent Health Minister.

It strongly condemned those resnponsible for filming and distributing the DVDs, calling it a "blatant intrusion of privacy of a citizen and urged the police to take firm action against the perpetrators.

The council recorded its appreciation to Dr Chua for his loyal service to the party, community and nation.

"Our hearts are with him and his family as they weather this very difficult period."

"We salute Datin Seri Wong Sek Hin and the family for standing by him and providing him the pillar of strength to go through these times.

"We sincerely offer our best wishes to him and his family," the statement read.

Read More News Dedicated...

Chua resigns after sex scandal

Wednesday January 2, 2008


Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek resigns

PUTRAJAYA: Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek has tendered his resignation as Health Minister, MCA vice-president, Johor MCA chief and Labis MP.

He announced this at a press conference Wednesday here.

The announcement came a day after he held a press conference in Labis, Johor, where he admitted to being the man in the sex DVDs circulating in Johor.

The two DVDs which had been available in Muar and other towns in Johor show Dr Chua having sex with a woman whom he described as a “personal friend” at Tuesday’s press conference.

“I have seen Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and MCA president Datuk Seri Ong Ka Ting and I have personally apologised to them,” said Dr Chua on Tuesday, reading from a one-page statement.

On Tuesday Dr Chua had said he would not be resigning from his posts.

“I leave it to party members, leaders and the Malaysian public to be the judge. It's not for me to speculate.”

The 60-year-old doctor sold his medical practice in 1990 to go into politics.

He is married to Datin Seri Wong Sek Hin. The couple has three children.

Read More News Dedicated...

A calm Chua faces newsmen



HEALTH Minister Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek was in an uncomfortable position yesterday as he faced down pressmen. But he was brave and calm as he fielded questions from the reporters.

Q: Datuk, do you know who is behind the tape?

A: If you look at the statement, what is left out is why have they done this tape. The reason is obvious. But that is not in the statement.

Q: Any idea, Datuk, who did it?

A: Who has done it is not important, I already said I will not speculate.

Q: Could it be a political rival?

A: I don’t know and I will not speculate and it is not important.

Q: What is your position now?

A: All the ministers serve at the pleasure of the prime minister.

Q: How about making a police report?

A: I will think about it. The police have already started their own investigation. Intruding into people’s privacy is an offence.

Q: Is this a bid to end your political career?

A: That I do not know and I leave it to all party members, my leaders and all Malaysians to be the judge. I will not speculate.

Q: Could there be some efforts to tarnish what you have done?

A: I have already said the reason the tape was made and the agenda was obvious.

Q: What was the Prime Minister’s reaction when you met him?

A: I met the Prime Minister, the Deputy Prime Minister and (the) MCA president, and (what their reactions were) I think it is appropriate for you all to ask them. I cannot represent them and give views about myself.

Q: When did you meet the PM?

A: I met the Prime Minister yesterday.

Q: When did you know about the tape?

A: On Sunday.

Q: Have you seen the video?

A: Yes.

Q: How did you get the tape?

A: A friend passed it to me.

Q: Will you make a police report?

A: I will give it serious thought.

Q: How did your family take it?

A: My wife and my children issued a statement today through Bernama.

Q: Are you still doing ministerial work?

A: I have two functions today: one at Segamat Hospital and after this I will go to Bekok to meet the Indian community. I will never let people down, I will not let it affect or hinder me from performing my duties as a minister, MP or party leader.


Read More News Dedicated...

Chua says sorry over sex DVD




SEGAMAT: Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek has admitted that he is the politician shown in the sex DVD that is being circulated in Johor.

He said the woman seen in the DVD was a personal friend.

In a press conference yesterday, Dr Chua said: “Who did it and why is obvious – but it is not important now. What is most important is that my family, wife and children have personally accepted my apology.”

Dr Chua flanked by Tenang assemblyman Datuk Sulaiman Taha (left) and Tan speaking to reporters at the press conference held at the Labis MCA office Tuesday.
His wife Datin Seri Wong Sek Hin said later in a statement that she and the family would stand by him. Dr Chua, who is MCA vice-president and Labis MP, said he would not be resigning over the sex DVD but would let the Prime Minister decide on the matter.

“I have seen Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and MCA president Datuk Seri Ong Ka Ting and I have personally apologised to them,” he said, reading from a one-page statement.

He also apologised to Malaysians, his supporters and colleagues.

Dr Chua said he did not record the video clip.

“I saw the DVD on Sunday when a friend gave a copy to me,” he said. He said he was unsure whether the clips were recent or old.

Asked about his political future, Dr Chua said: “I leave it to party members, leaders and the Malaysian public to be the judge. It's not for me to speculate.”

Dr Chua, who was clad in a yellow batik shirt, said he met with Abdullah on Monday.

Asked about what had transpired and the reactions from Abdullah, Najib and Ong, he said it was better to get the reactions from them as he could not comment on their behalf.

On his next course of action, Dr Chua said: “I will think about it after meeting the press.”

He said that although so far no police report had been lodged, the Inspector General of Police himself has initiated investigations.

“Of course, as a responsible citizen I will assist in the police investigations. It is a crime to intrude into people’s privacy or into a person’s room,” he said.

Dr Chua said it would be business as usual for him. He had earlier attended a function at the Segamat hospital before holding the press conference at 4.10pm.

Also present at the packed press conference were about 100 supporters and leaders, including state MCA deputy liaison chief Tan Kok Hong, Pulai Sebatang assemblyman Datuk Tee Siew Kiong, Senai Assemblyman Chun Yoon Fook and Pengkalan Rinting assemblyman Low Teh Hian.

After the press conference, Dr Chua left for Bekok to meet with the Indian community there. “I will not let people tarnish, prevent and stop me from carrying the duties entrusted to me as a minister, MP and party leader,” he said.

He thanked his colleagues, supporters and Malaysians for their concern and support which he had received through phone calls and SMSes.

Asked how his family was coping, Dr Chua appealed to the press to give him and his family space during this difficult time.


Read More News Dedicated...

Sex DVDs of ‘politician’ out in Johor



MUAR: Two DVDs showing a man resembling a prominent senior politician, and a woman engaging in various sexual antics, are being widely circulated in Tangkak, Batu Pahat and here.

The DVDs are believed to be closed-circuit television (CCTV) recordings in a hotel suite. However, the hotel’s location and the date of the recording are not known.

It is learnt that the first DVD lasting 56 minutes has footage of four different camera angles of the hotel suite – the bed, living area, entrance to the bathroom and the main door. It purportedly shows the man and woman entering the room separately.

The second DVD lasting 44 minutes is said to show the couple engaged in sex acts on the bed.

Those who claim to have seen the two DVDs said they were convinced the man in the DVDs was the prominent politician based on his gait and mannerisms.

The existence of the DVD was first reported in the Chinese dailies on Sunday while a Bahasa Malaysia daily reported about it yesterday.

News of the two DVDs are also being circulated widely on the Internet, adding to the controversy.

Sources said the lurid DVDs were now difficult to obtain, as those holding them fear that the police would act against those distributing and being in possession of the DVDs.

The DVDs, with the name of the politician on them, were first reportedly left at various locations in Muar on Saturday for people to pick up. Some copies were also said to be distributed to shops in the town.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan said no police report had been lodged yet over the DVDs.

“However, I urge the reporter with the newspaper that initially broke the story to come forward. We need to know how he came across the DVD,” he told TV3.

Bernama quoted Batu Pahat district chief Asst Comm Ibrahim Mohd Aris as advising those in possession of the DVDs to surrender them to the authorities.

He warned that anyone found in possession of the DVDs or caught distributing copies of them could be charged under Section 292 of the Penal Code and sentenced to three years' jail or fined, or both.


Read More News Dedicated...

Family stands by him, says wife



KUALA LUMPUR: The wife of Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek in a statement Tuesday said that she stands by her husband.

Datin Seri Wong Sek Hin said, “My husband had apologised to me and the family.

“It is a difficult time for all of us but we have accepted his regret and apology.

“He has been a good husband, father and family man who has never shirked his responsibilities.

“We know that it will be difficult during this time but we will go through this together as a family and will support him.”

At a press conference on Tuesday, Dr Chua admitted that he is the one in the sex DVD that has been circulating in Johor.


Read More News Dedicated...

I am the one in the sex DVD, says Chua (updated)



LABIS: Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek admitted he is the politician in the sex DVDs circulating in Johor.

In a press conference here Tuesday, Dr Chua said the girl is his “personal friend”.

He apologised to the Malaysian public, his supporters and colleagues.

He said he did not make the tape himself.

Dr Chua said he will not resign over the sex DVDs. He will leave that up to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to decide.

“I have seen the Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and MCA president Datuk Seri Ong Ka Ting and I have personally apologised to them,” he said while reading from a one-page statement during a press conference here Tuesday.

Dr Chua, who was clad in a yellow balik shirt, added that he had met up with Abdullah on Monday.

Asked about the reactions from Abdullah, Najib and Ong, he said that it was better to get a reaction from them as he cannot comment on their behalf.

Dr Chua vowed to continue carrying out his duties as a minister, MP and party leader.

Asked about his political future, Dr Chua said: “I leave it to my party members, leaders and the Malaysian public to be the judges. It's not for me to speculate.”

The sex DVDs, on two discs, show Dr Chua and a woman engaging in various sexual antics. The two DVDs had been circulating in Muar, Tangkak and Batu Pahat over the past few days.

The existence of the DVDs was first reported in the Chinese dailies on Sunday while a Bahasa Malaysia daily reported about it Monday.


Read More News Dedicated...